Friday, April 10, 2009

Exploring the use of technology by Colleges: The introduction

I am going to exploring new and innovative ways that colleges are using technology in order to new students and enrich the experiences of current students. Currently, I am attending the University of Montana, a campus that I wouldn't say is really behind on technology but definitely not an innovator. I am especially interested in the way that technology is being adopted in order for colleges to recruit new students.

Social networking sites like facebook and twitter are being utilized by many top schools in order to begin the recruiting process earlier and more in depth than before. Students are being contacted and introduced to schools at far younger ages. Just last week my 7th grade sister told me that she wants to go to Stanford, when I asked her why she said that her friend follows the school on twitter and it seems like the best one.

Many schools are using youtube as a way to promote their schools and are able to give students a much more in depth look at their campuses and facilities, without requiring a visit.

Some schools have been able to use increase the efficiency in their career services departments by utilizing text message notifications to inform students of opportunities that they might be interested in.

I am going to focus on the way that colleges are adapting to the "real time" speed that we have come to in our society today and giving examples of both failures and successes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UFC